Are you Protecting your Intellectual Property?
So you have come up with an amazing idea. You have probably shared it with your family, friends and colleagues. But did you think about protecting your intellectual property first?
What is Intellectual Property?
Types of Intellectual Property Protection
- Patents (new inventions and improvements to an existing invention)
- Trade-marks (words, symbols or designs which are used to differentiate the products or services of a business from competitors)
- Copyrights (literary, artistic, dramatic or musical works and computer programs)
- Industrial designs (visual features of a product including its shape, configuration, pattern or look)
Protecting Your Assets
Benefits of Establishing Intellectual Property
- Allows you to licence or sell your work and profit from creative efforts
- Prevents competitors from copying or closely imitating your products or services
- Protects your unique identity, image and ultimately your reputation
- Helps you build trust and loyalty with your client base, in turn helping you establish a unique brand or image
Is Canadian IP Protection Valid in other Countries?
Small Business BC offers a number of services to help you understand the value and the process of establishing IP for your small business, including:
- Upcoming seminars on intellectual property protection
- Ask a Lawyer – a one-on-one consultation with a lawyer where you can ask the specific legal questions you have for your individual business needs.
About The Author
This article was authored by a member of the Small Business BC team. When you find yourself asking "How do I...?" Give us a call. We'd be happy to help.
Learn More AboutStarting a Business Legal Requirements Intellectual Propertysage 50